The next version of Default Programs Editor has been posted, along with a total site redesign. All the important stuff is now on the root page, and I've severely dialed back on cruft to put most of your experience on a single page. And, one more note: this announcement is actually for the second release of version 2.7. There were a couple bugs I noticed in the crash report logs that really needed to be fixed before I announced the release, so, if you happened to grab DPE in between the redesign and this post, check and see if you've got the older version. They're each got a proper version number, but "2.7" refers to the later release.
Want to support Default Programs Editor? Help spread the word! Suggest Default Programs Editor to be included in Ninite (link). Donations are accepted too, and thank you so much to the many people who've contributed.
There's some cool new stuff in 2.7, most notably context menu icon editing, 'Open With' support, and built in registry backups. The latter two items were requested on the feedback forum and quite popular, so if you have a feature request, be sure go there and request it. There's also a myriad of great little usability tweaks like better keyboard accessibility (also a requested feature on UserVoice).
Version 2.7.2675.2253 (October 29, 2010)
- Fixed a minor DPI related layout bug.
- Fixed a crash after clicking the DDE 'Edit' button when adding a new context menu item.
- Viewing 'Open With' programs caused a crash when the item listed in the registry didn't exist on disk.
- Fixed a crash when starting the application for some users.
Version 2.7.2660.1843 (October 23, 2010)
+ Added support for editing 'Open With' programs.
+ Added support for editing context menu item icons.
+ Added support for registry backups of file type information.
+ Added "%1" by default when browsing for an application, and added an option to toggle it.
+ "Show in folder" button added to success page when saving to a .reg file.
+ Increased performance when loading long lists.
+ Better support for deleting verb precedence trees.
+ Increased keyboard accessibility.
- Fixed miscellaneous layout bugs.
- Fixed being stuck on the the options page after an elevated restart.
- Fixed issue causing scope labels to be listed twice for context menu items.
- Setting certain applications as context menu default could cause a crash.
- Selecting multiple extensions caused a crash when switching to the context menu page in certain scenarios.